I love to cook + try new recipes. However, in my household my boyfriend is on breakfast duty. It’s mainly because I’m not a morning person…at all! Since I work from home I’ve been trying to get better about sharing in the breakfast-making duties.
I’ve been following The Kitchenista Diaries for a while now, and in between salivating at her food pics and wishing she was my personal chef, I’ve been testing out some of her recipes. I decided to give her Red Potato, Asparagus, + Bacon Hash a try.
I’m horrible at following recipes. I use them as inspiration + create the recipe with my own twist. Naturally I used all of the opposite ingredients than what she suggested. So here is my rendition of The Kitchenista’s spread:
+ 6 white potatoes, peeled & chopped
+ 1 onion, chopped
+ 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
+ 4-6 asparagus spears, chopped
+ 2 eggs
+ 1 gala apple
+ 4 chicken sausage links
+ 2 tbsp olive oil
1) Turn the stove on medium heat + pour 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet pan.
2) Once the oil is hot, saute onions, apples, asparagus + garlic.
3) Add potatoes + stir. Lower heat + place a lid on the pan. Let cook until potatoes soften.
4) In another pan, begin cooking the sausage. My sausage was thick so it took a little longer to cook through. If you substitute smaller pork or turkey sausage links your cooking time will be shorter. Remove from heat when done.
5) Continue cooking potatoes + let them brown. Check often to make sure they don’t burn. This is usually when I add in my seasonings. I tend to go crazy with spices, but you’re always safe with salt, pepper + adobo for flavor.
6) Place a tsp of olive oil or butter in another pan and crack eggs. Fry them over easy, medium or hard (your preference). My boyfriend doesn’t like runny eggs so I fried his hard. Add on top of potato hash.
7) Plate your meal + enjoy!
Here is what my hash looked like when it was finished. I was very happy with the turn out!
I served my meal with a mimosa + hot buttered biscuits.
I’m working on my food pics (lol), but be sure to come back for more recipes!